Facebook Beginner Tips
# Hashtag –Simple, catchy phrases typed in a specific format e.g. “#changinglives” to categorize social media content (posts, tweets, etc.).
Like – A single click on the Like button (FB_like_icon.png) will ‘like’ pieces of content on the web and share them on Facebook
Post – A message on Facebook (can include text, links, images and tags)
Share – The Share button (FB_share_icon.png) lets people add a personalized relevant comment to links before sharing on their timeline, in groups, or to their friends via a Facebook Message
@ Tag – Add tags to anything you post, including photos and updates. Tags can point to your friends or anyone else on Facebook. Adding a tag using “@” symbol creates a link that people can follow to learn more. Adding tags can let people know when they’re in photos or other things you share. People you tag can receive a notification so they can see your post. The post may also go on the person’s profile and appear in their friends’ news feeds.
Facebook Best Practices
DO NOT ask people to “call me” or “act now” as this turns off followers. Once they stop following- you’ve lost the social media game.
Ways to talk business without being pushy or pitchy:
- Ask general questions to learn about your contacts/followers (e.g. Know anybody this happened to?, Have any points you would add or challenge in this article?, What resources do you rely on for ______?)
- Help solve problems – directly or indirectly (e.g. helpful links)
- Discuss brand related interests
- Use entertaining but relevant stories- share your knowledge to draw people in
- Include photos or video (keep it professional)
Optimizing Business Facebook Posts:
Post Text Lacking Interactivity
“Congrats Andrew Jones and Susan Nichols Jones!
Thanks Nick Jones for the referral and Title Plus and Carol Smith for another smooth closing for this first time homebuyer”
Better Post Text with Tag Links & Hashtags (#)
“Congrats @Andrew Jones and @Susan Nichols Jones!
Thanks @Nick Jones for the referral and @Title Plus and @CarolSmith for another smooth closing for #first-home-buyer!”