Applying for Homestead Exemption
Please remember to apply for your homestead exemption if you have not done so already!
The homestead exemption is a wonderful benefit for homeowners. Consult with an accountant or tax professional for specific tax relief information.
- In Louisiana, qualifying homeowners may apply for homestead exemption up to $75,000. Additional exemptions may be available for veterans. Visit https://www.latax.state.la.us/Menu_FAQ/FAQ.aspx to learn more.
- In Mississippi, qualifying homeowners may apply for exemption for the first $7,500 of the assessed value of their home. Additional exemptions may be available for seniors, the disabled, the vision impaired, and veterans. Visit https://www.dor.ms.gov/property/homestead-exemption-rules-and-regulations to learn more.
- In Alabama, qualifying homeowners under the age of 65 may apply to receive up to $4,000. Homeowners age 65 and older have no exemption limits. Visit https://www.revenue.alabama.gov/property-tax/homestead-exemptions/ to learn more.
- In Georgia, qualifying homeowners may receive $2,000 deducted from 40% of the assessed value of their primary residence. Homeowners age 65 and over can claim up to $4,000, and disabled veterans may receive a $60,000 exemption. Visit https://dor.georgia.gov/property-tax-homestead-exemptions to learn more.
- In South Carolina, homeowners who are over the age of 65, disabled, or legally blind are able to qualify for an exemption up to $50,000. Visit https://dor.sc.gov/lgs/homestead-exemption to learn more.
- In Florida, qualifying homeowners may receive an exemption that could tax value of their owned property up to $50,000. Learn more at https://floridarevenue.com/property/pages/taxpayers_exemptions.aspx.
Read how other states handle homestead exemption: https://smartasset.com/taxes/what-is-a-homestead-tax-exemption
Contact your local tax assessor’s office to determine if you qualify and to submit your application!
If you’re needing customer service assistance for your current home loan, visit gmfsmortgage.com/servicing